Mentoring is a developmental partnership which enables the exchange of best practice and the open consideration of career opportunities. A successful partnership can overcome the common concern that business continuity practitioners tend to sit on their own within different organizations, making it difficult to exchange ideas with others in the field.
About the BCI mentoring programme
Our mentoring programme aims to help our members with their career growth and development by matching those looking for a career mentor with suitable mentors.
However it's much more than that. It's a learning and development toolkit built upon the twin foundations of mentoring and e-learning, which support a wide range of learning and development resources. All accessible from your smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer, irrespective of manufacturer and operating system.
The resources include:
- The Mentor Match Me Guide to Mentoring
- The Journey
- Learning Diary
- Learning Resources
Members can achieve significant benefits by being matched to a mentor.
How mentoring can benefit members
- Studies show that professionals who have a mentor earn more annually than those who don't and 75% of interviewed executives say mentoring has played a key role in their careers.
- Receive independent advice about your expectations and career plan.
- Help to develop the capabilities and skills needed to succeed in a dynamic global economy.
- Help in identifying your strengths, weaknesses and the best way to use these in your career.
- You will get insight into the different routes you could take to achieve your career goals.
- Develop knowledge of discipline-related and non-technical skills.
- You will be able to access support, professional development, guidance and networking opportunites.
- Overcome challenges with the support of a mentor who has been through the same experiences.
How mentoring can benefit mentors
Mentors can gain:
- The ability to develop your coaching and mentoring skills.
- The ability to pass on your experience as an employer or employee
- A chance to use your communication and leadership skills and industry knowledge
- The satisfaction of helping others enhance their career development strategies
- A new perspective on your professional and personal experiences
- Satisfaction from helping others to overcome challenges and in this way broadening your own experience
- The opportunity to develop new skills through the process of 'Reverse Mentoring'.
- Networking opportunities with fellow members
How does it work?
You will receive your log-in details with your username and password, to access the BCI Mentor Match website. You will be prompted to complete a profile form, which will enable mentors and mentees to be matched based on areas of common interest and experience. Once matched we recommend our mentors and mentees meet (Face to face or via Skype) for a couple of hours per month.
The BCI mentoring website contains a wealth of resources and tools to help mentees and mentors in their mentoring relationship.
Profile of a mentee - Bridgette Harris
Why did you decide to become involved in the BCI mentor program?
I started in business continuity about three years ago as an intern. I was getting my feet wet, while gaining that on–the-job training. Here I was learning the concept of business continuity and the importance for companies large and small to have a solid program. As I was developing and updating programs, I realize that I needed support for my own personal foundation. If I truly wanted to growth in this field, I needed to gain a network of individuals that would encourage me to take those leaps and bounds to the unknown. I believe having that guidance of a seasoned individual could help shape my career and development.
What advice would you give to individuals considering the BCI Mentoring Programs?
If you are thinking to become part of the program, just do it and join the mentoring community. You can gain so much by sharing your knowledge and listening to other individuals that share the same common interests as you.
Bridgette Harris is a business continuity specialist at PAREXEL, and an Affiliate member who joined in March 2016 after attending DRJ Spring 2016.